Tuesday, December 8

Musing 2 - The P90X Workouts.

Other than substituting running on some days, I cannot really figure out how to improve much on the schedule or the actual workouts themselves now that I reflect back over 90 days.

The P90X program is based around variety.  It mixes up muscle groups and exercise types in ways that you will not get physically or mentally burned out.  I am at the end of 90 days and want to keep going and step it up - not take a break.

The key is to turn off your brain, trust the program and push it every single move.  Do not pace yourself. As I said in the last post, if you are bonking, eat a GU, wait 5 minutes and then BRING IT!

Legs and Back - At first I absolutely hated this one.  It is kind of awkward doing all those lunges and squats and then switching to so many pull ups.  At first I could only do about 1-2 pull ups at a time and the lunges hurt so bad.  Now, I can easily knock out 20 pull ups per set and I can feel the lunges and squats shaping my butt and legs.  Sheri and I call this workout the butt eraser.  Also, once you get to where you can really bring it, this is clearly the biggest calorie burn of all the workouts.  I burned 1400 the other day and did over 160 pull ups.  A note on pull ups...  Pull ups are the key to P90X.  They tie out the arms, back, shoulder and abs.  At first you will need a chair, but you will get past that fast.  If you really push it on the pull ups, you will see dramatic results.  Do not wuss out on the pull ups.

Plyometrics - This was my nemesis at first.  I dreaded this one each week and it was relentless.  Every week.  This one is a 1000 calorie burn and like Legs and Back will erase your butt.  In the middle I used to get to 170 bpm.   Now I can do double time on the knee jumps and still barely hit 150 bpm.  This is a good conditioning workout and I will keep it in my "quiver" for a long time.  I think this workout is why I am now running a 8:00 pace for 9 miles.

Core Synergistics - I think this is the best all around workout in the set.  It has everything and your whole body feels amazing afterwards.  If you only have an hour and you want to hit everything, this is your workout.  You do need one 10lb weight for one of the moves, but it is a great hotel room workout and worth hauling the weight on your trip.

Kenpo - At first, I thought this workout was silly and I did not like it because it is challenging from a coordination stand point and did not really feel like a big burn like the other workouts.  I have grown to appreciate it more over time though, especially now that I have added running back into my life.  The 15 minutes of stretching at the beginning of the Kenpo workout is the best running stretch routine I have ever done.  If I go on a big run over the weekend and then do Kenpo on Monday, I can feel it work all of the lactic acid out of my muscles and all the soreness is gone.  I now respect Kenpo for what it is - The ultimate recovery workout.

Yoga - I had never done yoga before P90X.  The P90X yoga is the only yoga workout I have ever done.  People tell me it is challenging and intense compared to what you will find at the strip mall yoga places.  The p90X yoga workout is 120 minutes, of which, the first 45 minutes are a hell of a good burn.  You do a ton a push ups and poses that make your legs burn and makes you sweat like crazy.  In the middle, there are some fun balance moves like crane and wheel that I could not even do at first.  At the end, the Yoga Belly moves are a great alternative to Ab Ripper.  At the end you should feel no soreness, but should feel like you got a great workout.  One big thing I learned about a month in is to use a yoga block.  I have horrible flexibility and the block made all the difference in getting the moves down.  You can still bring it with a block.  I see now why Tony calls Yoga the fountain of youth.

Ab Ripper - Ok I admit it,  I really really really really really want a six pack now.  The ab ripper workout is great.  At first I could only do 1/2 of it.  Now I add extra reps.  The beginning is rough on your legs, especially on legs and back day.  I could only do heels to the heavens in the last three weeks.  I could only do 20 mason twists in the beginning too.  Once you get your belly flat and strength up, this is a powerful 15 minutes that will really build your ab muscles.  I will do another post about six pack abs and what I have learned there, but I will just say here that you will not get a six pack unless you also do other core work, pull ups, and eat lean.

Bicepts - My favorite upper body workout.  I do this one in front of the mirror now without a shirt on.  I like watching my blood vessels pop on by forearms and biceps.  It is super motivating.  When I started, I only had 20# weights.  I have since had to add 25s and 30s and need 35s now.  I also needed a 50# for lawn mowers.  Bands are bullshit.  You need weights.  I know they are expensive.  If I were to start over now, I would buy the Bowflex dial in weights.  They are $250 but they will do any increment of 5# up to 50# with one weight.  My single favorite move in the whole program now is the curl strip set at the end of this workout - POW!

Chest Shoulders and Tricepts - The thing I like best about this is at the end I can barely raise my arms.  I love all the push ups now.  22 DIAMONDS (need I say more).  Also, this is where you will dial in the triceps.  I have those little diamonds on the backs of my arms because of this workout.  SO COOL!

5 comments:

  1. Six-pack abs start in the kitchen. If you aren't lean it doesn't matter. You got the diet in shape and now the ripper is working it's magic. Now you just need a spell checker (Biceps/triceps - no extra t).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are two steps down in a book that I feel is coming at the end of all this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. by the way..... I held myself in crane for 27 seconds last night!!! It wasnt even all that hard, until my right hand slipped on the mat and I fell over. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy Cow. I think holding crane is a really good indicator of strength and balance. I could not get to 27 seconds until a month ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wasn't it Arnold that said abs start in the kitchen?

    ReplyDelete