Tuesday, November 17

Low Fat Diet and Conventional Wisdom

So many people think that if they eat a low fat diet, they are eating healthy. It seems like this philosophy really came into play in the 90's. I remember my wife buying fat free fig newtons and us both pounding down a whole container thinking we were eating healthy. I am no nutritionist, but I have a hypothesis that all this low fat stuff is hog wash.

Without getting technical, when you eat fat, it still has to be converted to carbs first and then converted back to fat to be stored as fat in your body. Yes, fats you eat do have a high caloric density, but if you are tracking calories, you will not over eat fats.

One of the biggest things I have learned on this journey is that if you are working out, concentrate on hitting a caloric window and maximizing proteins. If you just do that, you will almost naturally be forced to eat well.

In my case, I am trying to hit 1500-1800 calories per day with 80+ grams of protien. To do that I need at least one protien shake, and two big servings of beans or lean meat like chicken, fish. Once I have eaten that stuff, I am already pushing 800-900 calories. On my good days, the rest of my calories come from dairy and veggies.

If I get some fat from meat, nuts, cheese, or a little peanut butter, I am glad for it as long as I do not exceed my caloric window.

It's pretty damn simple, just not conventional wisdom anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment