Tuesday, September 7

My New Birthday

This week is the one year anniversary of me starting to get in shape. On the evening of September 6, 2009 I did my first P90X workout. I remmeber putting in Chest and Back and trying the workout with the boys. I had to do all the push ups on my knees and I could not do one pull up without a chair assist. It was so foreign to me to be doing all this resistance for over an hour and then to take on Ab Ripper - I bet I only did 25% of that monster.

Anyhow, the last year has been a heck of a journey for me and I feel like I have accomplished a lot:
- I am generally much happier and never depressed
- My stress levels are much lower
- I feel like I have much better balance of life. I am now spending much more quality time with the family, coaching cross country, writing software again, and working efficiently in my job.
- I lost about 100 lbs of fat and gained about 30 lbs of muscle.
- My family in much healthier.
- I learned how to cook.
- I am in the best running shape of my life and I think I have a plan to find my potential.
- I have been blessed to help over 30 people find their personal paths to fitness and health.
- I have made new and re-ignitied old friendships through fitness.
- I built a pretty cool iPhone app that is helping many (3000+) people achieve their goals with P90X.


Sheri is so cool! She understands that 9/6 is now a more important day to me than my real birthday, so she bought me a new iPhone and threw a little party for me. I am so blessed to have her and I feel like our relationship is stronger than ever.

Looking forward, I only really see possibilities. I plan to:
- Continue my fitness journey including attempting to qualify for Boston without injury
- Find the best job fit for my career
- Enagage more in my community and find meaningful ways to help people
- Raise the best young men I possibly can

One of my only remaining fears is that I allow myself to slip back in to an physicially and mentally unhealthy state. I think it would be easy to start sliding and not watching nutrition and not working out. I have to make sure I do not stop. Continuing to blog and write down everything I eat is a key tool for me to hold myself accountable. Some days I wonder if I have to keep doing blogging or if I can stop. For now, I know it works for me and it is nice to be able to go back and see the journey. So, I guess I will keep on going and see where this goes. Who knows, five years from now I could still be blogging every nut and apple I eat. It would be fun to see Day 1825 on the blog!

I appreciate all the folks out there that come by the site to check in. I have a little site counter and usually 50+ people swing by each day. I hope in some small way my journey has helped you and you are able to find peace, strength, happiness, clarity, and hope for the future.

Keep On Livin!

3 comments:

  1. Mike-
    Congrats! You have gone thru a complete life change.
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. HeyThere. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well written article. I'll make sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful information. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete