Monday, May 17

Day 256: Sunstone Wood Session #2 (Met Owner Ashley Sells)

I did my second wood session at Sunstone this morning.  I have to admit that I was not so sure about this class last week, but I think there was something subconscious that connected something good with it, so I went back this morning.  One of the owners of the studio (Ashley Sells) taught the class.  Afterward, we chatted for a bit.  She explained to me that the reason this class is so different and effective is that it is not about 100% effort.  The 20% effort moves activate the smaller muscle groups (especially the hip flexors).  This is something I keep hearing about yoga.  The balance postures and the isometric moves get to muscles that gross, max effort exercises like running and weight lifting just don't touch.  In the end analysis, those smaller muscles may be more important.

Ashley asked me a bunch of questions about how/if yoga has centered me.  I cannot say that it has been a religious thing for me yet, but it sure does calm me down.  I think spending an hour focused like that on your body engages your brain in ways that other exercises don't.  When I run, my mind wanders and I think of all of the things going on in my life.  I have actually solved a lot of external problems running, but not internal ones.  I have a feeling that as I mature in my Yoga practice, I will continue to calm down and find out more about myself.

If you are reading this, thanks for a great session and chat today Ashley!  See you next week.

M1: eggs and sausage 150
M2: Nuts and grapefruit 150
M3: Super Salad 500
M4: Bar 180
M5: Go Lean 150, fish 150, veggies 100, beans 100
M6: Popcorn 200

1500

No comments:

Post a Comment