Friday, February 26

The Perfect Shake

A bunch of people ask me about recovery and protein shakes. I have two answers. The easy route is beachbody's Shakeology. Mix with water and go. It is good when you are traveling and too busy to mix something up in the blender. This stuff is really good for you and everyone that uses it as a meal replacement accelerates their weigh loss and fitness goals. You can buy it here: Shakeology Site

When I have time and am home, I make my super shake. I actually did not invent it, but Sheri and I really love it. Here is the recipe:


For two people:
    • 1 Banana broken into small pieces
    • 1/2 Cup frozen organic blueberries
    • 4 Huge TBSP of nonfat vanilla yogurt (buy the big tub)
    • 3 Scoops AMP vanilla whey protein from GNC
    • 1 cup ice
    • 1 cup water

Put it all in a good blender in the order listed above and let it blend for 2-3 minutes on the highest setting to get it as creamy as possible.


Make sure you drink this within 20 minutes of your workout. I can't emphasize this point enough. That will accelerate muscle synthesis and recovery. If you do this drink right after your workout, you will not be sore the next day and your recovery will take a matter of hours. If you don't, you will be hurting for days.


Here's why it works:
1. Banana gives you immediate carb refuel so you are not dragging
2. Blueberries are superfuel for everything, but most importantly your brain. You will think clearer and feel more energetic. Other berries are fine, but blueberries are best.
3. Yogurt supplies your dairy and helps out your digestion processes. Gotta stay regular!
4. GNC AMP is my favorite protein. I have tried a bunch and this one gives me the best recovery results. The theory is that the lucien added to the powder flushes out the lactic acid in your muscles and stimulates protein synthesis. I am not a scientist, but through the experimentation I have done, it seems to work.  1.5 scoops of this stuff equals about 30 g of protein.  Studies show that 30 g at a time is the perfect amount to trigger protein synthesis and muscle recovery.  Any more is wasted and any less does not trigger the processes.  This is true for girls and guys.
5. The Ice and Water help rehydrate you and add volume to the shake, helping you get more full.

Hope you enjoy these shakes as much as Sheri and I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment