Tuesday, February 2

Musing 9 - On Vinyasa Yoga

I am still a total Yoga beginner, but I have picked up a couple interesting tid bits that I thought I would pass on at this point. Most of the yoga I have been doing is considered Vinyasa yoga. Vinyasa is the basic sequence of plank, chataranga, and upward dog. This sequence is great for upper body strength and gives you a great stretch.

The Yoga X on P90X is a series of extensions to basic Vinyasa yoga. Specifically, it adds the Ashtanga series. A lot of studios call it power or flow yoga. This is by far my favorite type because it is so physically demanding. It includes all of the really hard lunge moves that smoke out your legs and butt. The Warrior I-III series, triangle poses, 1/2 moon, chair, etc... My legs still shake in the middle of some of these poses. Tony also adds in some challenging balance postures. My favorite is crane. It works everything. There is a whole core series too that includes wheel, table, bridge, scissors, and heel and hands to the heavens. I am not sure if all of these are official yoga moves, but they sure work you out.

After an hour with Yoga X, I feel amazing. I feel like I got a great workout, but I also feel like I got a massage.

I have also started trying Bikram or Hot Yoga. It is a lighter version of Yoga X. There are no Vinyasa moves, but there are still quite a few challenging balance and core poses. As the name implies, the key to Hot Yoga is the 100 degree room. Even though you are not working as hard, you will feel like you did. I am usually three pounds lighter after a Bikram session. In the middle, sweat is coming off in a continual stream (not drips). It is very demanding on the body and requires me to focus on recovery for a couple hours. Eating and drinking tons of water are critical. The best part of Bikram for me is how you feel totally detoxified. Your largest organ (skin) is pumping a ton of fluid through and there is just nothing bad left in you at the end.

The interesting thing about Bikram is that I was stalled out on weight loss, and when I added that in, my weight loss started back up. I am not sure why, but I know it did the trick.

The next step for me on my Yoga journey is to officially join a studio to get some instruction. I know I am not holding my poses right all the time and I am sure my breathing and mental state are not ideal.

I see Yoga as part of the fitness "tool-box" now and I would not want to be on the journey without it.


Cool Yoga Studios and places I have done yoga:
- My Bed Room late at night - sleep like a baby
- Lake Michigan in Chicago at sunrise in front of the sailboats - watch the sun come up over the water
- White Rock Lake at the Bath House on a warm Saturday afternoon
- Black Swan Yoga in Austin - Candelight "Sweaty Yoga" at 8:30PM Very cool
- Sunstone Hot Yoga in Dallas - Sweat like a faucet
- Miami Yoga @ Miami Beach - Jennifer's class was amazing.  http://miamiyoga.com/
- Buddhaful Spin in Cleveland - Excellent mix of spin and yoga.  http://buddhafulspin.com/
- Yoga to the People in Midtown NYC - Low Key Hot Vinyasa for $5. http://www.yogatothepeople.com/new-york-yoga.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment