Thursday, June 17

MUDA

Muda (無駄) is a traditional Japanese term for an activity that is wasteful and doesn't add value or is unproductive.

This is a  really cool concept to me.  When I reflect on my days and really challenge myself, it is amazing to me how much of my life is waste.  Here are some examples from the last two days:
- Watching Kieth Olberman rant on and on about the oil spill
- Un-optimized travel where I am stuck in airports or overnight in hotels needlessly
- Not following up on things immediately and then not getting to them until days later
- Letting conference calls drag on without clear resolution or action items

I think the most "un-MUDA" activity you can do is to spend time evaluating MUDA.  What if you spend 20 minutes each day eliminating waste and then get 2-3 hours a day back in efficiency.  That is a huge payback. 

I am going to start looking at my time more seriously and see what happens when I make MUDA elimination a priority each day.  I will report back in a couple weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment