Thursday, October 14

Give Me A Break So I Can Rock!

I got sick this week and have decided to take it easy and not jump back into working out.  This got me thinking about breaks.  I have been obsessive about not missing workouts or runs over the last 400 days.  At some point, this takes a physical and mental toll.  I bet my performance over the last month has been sub-optimal due to forcing myself through workouts even though I was tired or in some cases borderline injured.

These last 4 days of chilling out have let my muscles all get nice and recovered and for the first time in a long time, nothing is sore at all.  It feels kind of weird to be honest.

I have two fitness goals that are sort of at odds.  One is to merely maintain my weight and general shape/fitness level.  I think I could achieve that by just doing 2 runs, 1 resistance and 1 yoga workout per week and take three days off.  Because of my stupid metabolism, I will have to really watch my caloric intake on off days.

The other goal is this Boston qualifier goal.  I have 7 week until White Rock Marathon.  My goals is to run a sub 3:20.  That comes to a 7:38 pace.  That sounds very doable to me, but realistically, I need to shoot for a 7:30 moving pace to account for water, pee and other slow downs.

So, I think this week was good for me to get mentally and physically reset.  The timing was good because I can now focus on running for the next 6 weeks and focus on staying healthy and fast.

I am going to limit my weeks to 4 runs per week and at least one yoga and resistance workout.  The key is to maintain the base I have earned, up my speed a little and NOT GET INJURED.  In fact, I want to make sure that there are no more tweaks or major aches.

Here is my 3-4 run per week plan to hit the BQ (Boston Qualification):
  1. Week 1
    • 10 Mile Hill
    • 8 Mile Loop
    • 2 Mile Cross Country Race (Speed Work)
    • Yoga 
  2. Week 2
  3. Week 3
    • 10 Mile Hill
    • 12 Mile Big Loop or Downtown Run
    • Track with Nick's group (Speed)
    • Yoga
    • Chest and Back and Abs
  4. Week 4
    • 22 Mile LSD (Need a Buddy)
    • 6 Mile Recovery Run
    • Bike Ride
    • Yoga
  5. Week 5
  6. Week 6
    • 12 Mile LSD
    • 5 Mile 70-80% MP
    • Turkey Trot
    • 20-30 mile Bike Ride
    • Yoga
  7. Week 7 (Taper)
    • Need to figure this one out

1 comment:

  1. I just got sick too and the timing is horrible just 2 weeks out from the marathon. I hate plane flights. Germ filled bullets.

    ReplyDelete