Sunday, August 8

Summer Bath Race Analysis

Results: 15K in 1:11. 5th place overall.

Analysis: I feel really good about this as the first race this year. It was super hot (90+ degrees at the finish). The heat plus the hills in the last mile really slowed my last 2 miles. I would have liked to stay in the sub 8 min range. That said, the overall 7:33 is on pace and with the heat, I think going out fast and slowing as it heats up is probably the best strategy.

As it starts getting cooler, I need to make sure I am working toward negative splits. I also need to get comfortable staying in the high160/low170 heart rate.

I passed three people in the 6-8 mile range. That felt good, but after that, there were no other targets and that curbed my motivation a bit.

I was a little tweaky at mile 7-8 and I think it was due to bad form. I cleaned up my form, slowed down and it went away.

Plusses:
- Really enjoyed it
- Good distance and speed for this point in traing
- Exceeded my expectations on placing
- Met overall pace expectations
- Mentally pushed through heat
- Stayed fueled and hydrated
- Attacked 3 competitors at mile 6-8

Deltas:
- Let form slip a bit
- Could have pushed harder in the last 2 miles

I am not sure if I can do that pace for 26.2 miles! I'll keep truckin.

No comments:

Post a Comment