Thursday, August 26

Beans, Beans the magical fruit...



I have become a pinto bean freak in the last couple months. If I could only have one food for the rest of my life, I would probably have to go with beans. They are cheap and they cover most of the nutritional needs - protiens, vitamins, minerals, and carbs. When I am running a lot, I love beans any time of day to help recover and get out of the "calorie hole".

I use my crock pot to make them. If you do not have a crock pot, get one!

Here is the basic process:
1. Wash 2-3 cups of dry pinto beans in a strainer really well. Don't skip this. I had a batch taste like dirt because I did not wash them.
2. Soak them fully submerged in water for 1-2 hours and then drain off the water.
3. Put the beans in a crock pot and submerge them in water or chicken broth.
4. Put 2-3 TBSP of cumin, 1-2 TBSP pepper, and 1 TBSP chili powder in the pot.
5. Put in one onion and one bell pepper coarsely chopped.
6. Turn it on.
7. Wait 8-10 hours.
8. Eat

If you have some chicken breasts or pork chops, throw them in on top.

If you start it before work, you will have a nice meal waiting for you when you get home and you will have beans left over for the rest of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment