Monday, February 28

Big D Marathon - Next BQ Attempt due to Qualifier Rule Changes

The new Boston Qualification rules totally messed up my marathon plans this year.  I signed up for Chicago for my next BQ attempt.  But now, with the new rules, that race will fall into the 2013 qualification cycle and I will need to run a 3:15 to qualify there.  If I run a marathon before september, I need a 3:20 to qualify.

SO....  I needed a new race.  Anything past early April was probably going to be too late to to higher temperatures.  Also, I am watching my fitness expenses and connot afford to fly to two marathons this year.

The decision came down to either Oklahoma city on May 1 or Dig D on April 10.  If I did OKC, I would not be able to do Centennial 1/2 and it will probably be hot.

SO...  Big D it is. 

The Pros:
  1. The race is close enough that I can really focus on it
  2. RnR 1/2 will be a great sharpening race two weeks before
  3. I know the area and the course well
  4. I do not have to travel
  5. It is a smaller race so I will not be fighting crowds too much
The Cons:
  1. I have been working on middle distance and speed lately and have only a few weeks to dial in longer distance
  2. The weather could still be hot
  3. The course is hilly and I will still have to battle the "Dolly Partons" at the end
 Regardless, I am now committed and here is my plan for the next 6 weeks:

NEXT 3 WEEKS:
  • Sundays run 20ish
  • Recovery loop on Tuesdays instead of track. 
  • Slower on hills on Wed (8:15 pace). 
  • Hard on Tempo on Thursday. 
  • Target weekly mileage at 50 miles.
RnR
  • Three Day Taper (take off Tempo)
  • Race RnR 1/2 hard on the 27th.
Train med-hard week after RnR - Target 35 Miles

Taper week of 4th - Target 13 Miles (not including Marathon)

The only thing I need to overcome (other than staying injury free) is this light headedness I get at mile 19-20.  It hit me hard yesterday.  I know I underfueled yesterday.  I want to do some experimenting next week.  I am going to try oatmeal and raisins before the run and then alternate between GU and bananas every 3 miles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment