Sunday, February 13

Hardening

A few of my running buddies talk about hardening every now and then.  Usually it is in the context of trying to get folks to show up for sub 20degree or rainy runs.  For a long time, I have to admit that I did not really understand this whole thing and chalked it up to machismo.  Shoot, just going out and running in good conditions felt pretty tough to me. 

Lately, deliberately developing mental hardness is starting to make sense. 

This winter, we have had a long series of really cold runs.  Until today, I don't think I have run in above freezing temps in several weeks and some of those runs have been in the teens.  Also, on longer runs, I am not taking water breaks like I used to.  In fact, the last two 13 + mile runs have been waterless.  Not a drop.  If you told me I would run a 1/2 marathon without water a year ago, I would have told you that was just stupid.

The last hardening factor is sustained speed on long runs.  The last three or four DRP long runs have been some of the strongest of my life.  On Sunday DRP long runs, I get that race feeling - 1/2 dread - 1/2 excitement.  I know I am going to push myself and hurt a little, but will also grab another gear.  Doing this repetitively for many weeks has made a huge physical difference, but more importantly, I feel like it is giving me a mental edge.

So, where is all this going?  I hypothesize that this mental toughness will pay off in a big way in races.  Last year, I think I would mentally sych myself out way too easily and back off if I was fatigued, thirsty, cold or discouraged.

Right now, I feel like I have a new mental fortitude that I really want to test in a race.  At the Rock and Roll 1/2 marathon, I am going to really go for it and try to run a sub 1:30.  That is just a number, but to get there is going to take some real mental focus and will require me to push through the "hurdles" that held me back last year.  I am really looking forward to mile 11 and being on pace target and getting a chance to throw down two last 6:45s and just crush my goal.

If it happens, it will not be about the physical shape I am in, it will be all about mental hardness.

No comments:

Post a Comment