Sunday, March 13

Close Call?

I went out for our weekly Wednesday hill run last week.  We have started doing a 12 mile double loop which adds more hills and basically eliminates the warm up and cood down.  On the second loop, I really put the hammer down and was having a big time surging up the ascents with Steve Phiffner (one of the fastest guys I know).  On the last surge up Flagpole Hill, I was really going for it and at the top of the hill, my calf tweaked.  I stopped immediately and did not try to run any further. 

I have not felt this calf pain since last year.  I lived with it most of the year last year and I hate it because although I can run through it, it puts a governer on my speed and I generally cannot go faster than a 7 min pace.

This sucks because I have been healthy since the new year and I was trying hard to keep it that way.  I took Thursday off and ran a really slow 9 mile loop on Friday.  It did not hurt too bad on Friday, but I took Saturday off as well and did Chest and Back.

Today I took it out for a real test drive.  I started at 5AM and went almost 22 miles.  About 10 of those were sub 8s and 6 were sub 7:30s.  My calf was sore (read dull pain), but not tweaky.  I was listening really closely and never let it get close.

Chris Strait gave me a pair of compression socks and I have been wearing them all day and I can tell a huge difference in recovery.

When something like this happens, you have three choices:
1.  Be stupid and keep running too hard and get really injured.  I did that last year.
2.  Stop running and let it rest, but risk loosing some fitness.  This is a bad idea 4 weeks out from the Marathon.
3.  Keep running, but stretch like crazy (yoga), eat lots of protien, and listen very closely and keep the speed well within the safety zone.

I am trying #3 and so far so good.  We will see how things play out with hills, and a little more speed work this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment