Monday, December 20

I'm back - Finally

I had my first strong run since the marathon today.  Put down a stack of sub 7:30s on an 8 mile tempo run.



I guess it just takes two full weeks to fully recover assuming you don't get injured.  The funny thing about marathons is that you have to do a two week taper before and then a light two weeks after.  So aside form the marathon itself, you do not have any really hard runs for about a month.  On top of that, you have the muscle fatigue and minor damage from the marathon that sets you back a bit.  The accumulation of the above factors feels like a 6 week set back.  That is a hard pill to swallow considering I accomplished something that is supposed to be an indicator of fitness.

The next six weeks are about rebuilding upper body strength and conditioning and preparing to PR in the 1/2 marathon. 

Next year, I will mentally prepare for this set back for the marathon and not let it surprise (and upset) me.

No comments:

Post a Comment