Monday, November 8

Big Weekend for Bordelon's!

I am reflecting on a pretty amazing athletic weekend for my family.

SHERI:
Let's start with Sheri. She walked 60 miles over three days to raise money for Breast Cancer research. That is a really long way to go and she did it without any training. She sure has some serious blisters to show for her effort, but otherwise, she is upbeat and already signed up for next year.  Sheri is not the sappy type and does not really show her emotions much, but I could tell that she had a really deep feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction for raising $5000 and completing the walk.

Sheri at 3-Day:

Closing Ceremonies:

GRANT:
Then there is Grant. He is an amazing Right Guard in football. Every game he leaves nothing on the field and completely annihilates anyone with the ball. He got 6 sacks on Saturday and does an amazing job on heads up tackling.  I love watching him Pull on the option.  He leaves a path of destruction for the ball carrier to run through.


JAYCE:
Jayce has become a football star too. He is on offense and caught several hard throws and has started running the ball. He is a bit bigger than the other kids and is kind of intimidating coming down the field.  He has improved a ton this year and I think he will follow in Grants footsteps in coming years.

Now to the 1/2 Marathon. Blake and I ran the DRC Half this weekend.

MIKE:
This was a tune up race for me as I am finishing up my training for the White Rock Marathon. I planned to run the race in 1:37. That would have been a 7:24 pace (about ten seconds per mile faster than my Marathon Pace).  I ran a 7:12 pace and finished in 1:34.  I looked back at my 2005 finish time for the same race and I ran a 2:07.  So I am five years older and ran 33 minutes faster.  That means in 5 more years, I will run a... ;)

Anyhow, the race was a real confidence booster for me and I am feeling confident that if I am injury free, well fueled and the weather is good, I should be able to Boston Qualify on Dec 6.  Here are my stats from the run:

Cruising Along:



BLAKE:
Blake was an absolute animal at the race.  He has turned into such a spiritual runner.  He tells me running is how he is fining out what he is capable of.  I printed out a 7:45 pace band for him to track his splits each mile.  He said up until mile 9 he was within 10 seconds of the goal pace.  That alone shows maturity and poise to be able to nail your goal pace like that.  Then he decided he felt good enough to open it up a bit and dropped the hammer.  The last four miles were a work of art as he pushed into the 7:40s to finish with an overall of 1:44 (a minute faster than goal pace).  The amazing thing is the kid is 13 years old.  The end result was a first place and a huge feeling of accomplishment.

Blake with Running Buddies Zack and Paint:

Blake near Finish (serious determination):

Blake getting his 1st place medal (The Stars Dancers were icing on the cake):


Go Bordelon Family!  Go!!!

2 comments:

  1. love this and nice to put mama bear first :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing stuff here Bordelons! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete