Monday, October 10

Mile 20, Why you no love me? - Chicago Marathon 2011

Although I knew it would be hot, I went out yesterday mentally ready to BQ.  I needed a 3:14:59.  My race strategy was to be on MP at mile 20 and then figure out what to do from there.

The start was warm at 64 degrees, but was pretty uneventful.  I am amazed how well this thing is organized and getting 44,000 runners out there without a hitch is a miracle.

I was in B coral and everyone around me was doing my pace so I was not having to weave or pass.  The Garmin went crazy for the first 3 miles due to the underpasses and buildings so I just checked pace off the official time and I was just slightly fast.  After mile 3, I basically bounced around from 7:00 to 7:30.  I don't have good pace control, and was largely just running off feel.  Up until mile 20 I felt great.  This was by far the fastest I have run the first 20 in a marathon and it was really cool to be able to keep the hammer down like that.

I did 5 GUs up to 20 and alternated water and Gatoraid.  Every station I dumped a little water on my hat to cool off.  I definitely think wearing the hat and shirt and keeping them wet helped with temperature control and sweat rates.

The think about Chicago is it very homogenous - Flat with tons of spectators the whole way.  So, I don't really remember many landmarks and there were no tough spots - UNTIL 20.

As I rolled through Chinatown, I did a pace check and saw that I still had a bout 1 minute in the bank at mile 20.  I also realized I was starting to get hot and dizzy and my breathing was getting elevated.  I deliberately backed off a bit and used a little of my bank to see if I could get things back under control and decided to wait another mile to commit or not.  I rolled into 21 and was feeling worse.  My legs felt strong and loose, but my head and heart were giving all the wrong signals.  I've been here before.  I know that this is dangerous and I definitely have the ability to outrun my hydration and aerobic capacity (hence the hospital visit at Big D).

I decided to walk through the water station somewhere along mile 21.  This definitely helped and I jumped back in for a minute, just to realized that this is not going away.  It was here that I realized today was not my day and I needed to back off to Plan B - PR.  This was a huge mental relief  to know I had 7 minutes to burn over the next 5 or so miles.  I thought there was no way I would use it all up, BUT...

The sun kept beating down and the temperatures kept rising and I kept getting dizzier with spotty vision. All I could think about was how mad Sheri would be if I went to the hospital again and so I walked the remaining stations, dumped lots of water on my head and just went into cruise control.  While I was running, I was still doing an 8:00 pace, but the walk breaks took me down to 9 min.  At 26, I started to pick it back up until that stupid hill just before the end.  Shaheen warned me about this thing.  It is probably just a 40 ft climb over 50yds or so, but my legs cramped half way up it and I was forced to walk to the top.  Then I was able to start running again and finished the last 200 yds at a brisk pace to a 23 second PR.

I would like to blame it all on the weather and I know that played a role in it yesterday.  Everyone at the finish was talking about the 15 minute heat.  I would probably call it 5 minute heat.  If I am honest with myself, I went out a bit too fast.  I should have been averaging 7:25s, not 7:20s.  Would a slower first 20 and 20 degrees cooler gotten me a BQ yesterday?  Who knows.

What I do know is I am a big sweater and loose a ton of water and salt in a hot marathon.  I really need to do a cold one.  I mean mid 30s cold, where I am not sweating at all.  I need to start looking for a spring fast and cold race.

As for training, I probably need to push myself out on some longer runs.  My longest this cycle was 22 and I usually still feel good at that point.  I need to train past the marathon distance and get my body more comfortable with the final miles.

Here's the Garmin Data:

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations Mike... Even if you did not meet your expectations on the run you still have made an amazing transformation in your life and have accomplish much that others only dream of...
    All of my best
    Mark Breidenbach

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's a crap shoot on weather Mike, but I did WR in Dallas one year when it was around 40s... that ROCKED for a fellow-sweater!
    Bobby Murray

    ReplyDelete
  3. The think about Chicago is it very homogenous - Flat with tons of spectators the whole way. So, I don't really remember many landmarks and there were no tough spots.
    Perfect Radiance

    ReplyDelete